[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 04:19:25 CEST 2010

Tux99 a écrit :
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>

>> On 5 October 2010 15:28, Tux99<tux99-mga at uridium.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> This would reduce the space requirements on the mirrors and it would mean
>>> that Mageia is a "rolling distro" for most apps, making it more attractive
>>> compared to ubuntu/Fedora/opensuse and at the same time reduce the workload
>>> for packagers.
>>>
>> No. No space would be saved.
>> package foobar-1.1-2mdv2010.1 and foobar-1.1-2mdv2011.0 are _NOT_ the same
>> They'll end in different files (different sizes&  checksums) b/c:
>> - different ENVR
>> - different build environement (build against libc+libboo+... of
>> 2010.1&  2011.1 respectively)
>>

> That's not what i meant, I meant this:
>
> This is how mandriva currently does it:
> release/foobar-1.1-1mga2010.1
> updates/foobar-1.1-2mga2010.1
> backports/foobar-1.2-1mga2010.1
>
> This is how it would be:
> release/foobar-1.1-1mga2010.1
> updates/foobar-1.2-1mga2010.1
>
> Basically you drop the backported patch in updates (like I said
> earlier, this would only be for apps that don't have child dependencies
> and where the new release is not a major new release, just an
> incremental release, or at least where it's an evolution not a major
> rewrite).

So you are saying that the same package, with exactly the same name, is
put into updates and backports.  Are you sure there wouldn't be a hard
link between the 2 files ?  If not, it wouldn't be difficult.
However, wouldn't it be more likely that the backport would be for an
earlier release, with dependancies corresponding to the libraries, etc
of the earlier release ?
In the first case, no saving of space.  In the second, additional
libraries, etc would probably have to be installed, which could be a
stability nightmare, as well as saving relatively little space.

- André (andre999)