[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 05:17:49 CEST 2010

Tux99 a écrit :
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, [UTF-8] andré wrote:
>

>>> Tux99 a écrit :
>>>
>>> That's not what i meant, I meant this:
>>>
>>> This is how mandriva currently does it:
>>> release/foobar-1.1-1mga2010.1
>>> updates/foobar-1.1-2mga2010.1
>>> backports/foobar-1.2-1mga2010.1
>>>
>>> This is how it would be:
>>> release/foobar-1.1-1mga2010.1
>>> updates/foobar-1.2-1mga2010.1
>>>
>>> Basically you drop the backported patch in updates (like I said
>>> earlier, this would only be for apps that don't have child dependencies
>>> and where the new release is not a major new release, just an
>>> incremental release, or at least where it's an evolution not a major
>>> rewrite).
>>>

>> So you are saying that the same package, with exactly the same name, is
>> put into updates and backports.
>>
> I didn't say anything like that. Looker closer at my post.

Sorry.  My error.  (Too much time staring at my monitor, evidently.
You're just saying forget about backports.  No newer version, if it's
not a major version change.
Some users will be disappointed with that.
Including myself sometimes.

How would you ensure that the application didn't have child dependancies ?
(Consider the case where the user wishes to install software from
another source, which requires a newer version of an application which
would now be available as a backport.)

- André (andre999)