[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 7 12:42:58 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-07 04:55, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 07:34, Gustavo Giampaoli
> <giampaoli.gustavo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Could it be possible to use the same schema that Mandriva use + one
>> "LTS" with three years of support?
>>
>> Regular releases every six months with 18 month support.
>>
>> But we could include this "kind of" LTS with 36 month.
>>
>> Difference with Ubuntu will be that our LTS will be launched only
>> after the previous LTS ends its cycle.
>>
>> Something like this: http://img819.imageshack.us/i/mageiareleases.jpg/
>>
>> My doubt is will Magea community be able to handle the support for
>> four releases at the same time in semesters when it happen?
>>
>> If you add the LTS, should regular release support be reduced to 12
>> months? This way, you'll never have more than 3 releases "alive" at
>> the same time.
>>

>> Gustavo Giampaoli (aka tavillo1980)
>>
> It has been posted before but I guess it's a good read for anyone
> willing to push an argument in this debate:
> http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/a-story-about-updates-and-people/
>
> It is a nice post explaining the existing different point of views
> (bonus to clever points about updates frequency and presentation).
>
> Now, in the same vein, let's put the discussion at rest a little and
> have each interested person write down an article with arguments for
> the why's and how's. So here is a page for that:
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rollingdebate
>
> Please write down your point of view, detail it as explained on the
> wiki page, link it and a week from now, everyone involved in the
> discussion can have a look at it for a summary.
>
> That won't trigger a change decision at once (way too soon anyway, we
> have to roll a first release to assess our new build system and
> infrastructure and organisation) but it may at least lay down all
> arguments and allow to have a better view of what everyone understand,
> agree on definitions and see what is really at stake here. For later
> reference, discussion and decision.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Romain

Merci Romain:

This should help a lot. So perhaps a return to this discussion later (a
a new thread!), with a reference to the wiki page for devs and users
alike? Then Mageia will get a better feel for what is the "hoped"
expectation from the devs and users? If people in the new thread were to
argue a statement, we could then offer them the

 > http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rollingdebate

page as reference.

Sounds great!

Marc