[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Oct 7 13:10:55 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 06 octobre 2010 à 23:18 -0400, Sorteal a écrit :
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 04:01 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> > 2010/10/7 Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com>:
> > >
> > > I guess this information would have to come from someone from the core dev
> > > group. Just so that we know for sure. So, is Mageia going to be principally
> > > a KDE distro with offers during installation to install GNOME and other
> > > desktops? Or is it going to be a desktop agnostic distro where the user
> > > eventually picks the desktop sometime during the installation processs?
> > >
> > > This may help with this thread on the talk of browsers.
> >
> > Pls correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know any browser which is DE
> > dependent - well, there's konqueror, if you want to call this "I want
> > to be everything" a browser. But for real browsers, what does it
> > matter which DE is used?
>
> While Mandriva officially supported both GNOME and KDE, I do remember
> the last time I tried the GNOME version of Mandriva it was pretty much a
> raw GNOME install.

Yeah, that's in fact a feature. GNOME was manager by Frederic Crozat,
who is a gnome developer, so he followed quite closely gnome decisions.

Some people may argue that a distro is here to enhance software, but the
first goal is to distribute. And since everybody think distro should
collaborate more, pushing upstream is exactly this kind of
collaboration.

--
Michael Scherer