[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:50:07 CEST 2010

Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> schrieb am 2010-10-07
> Thanks. That makes sense. Sorry, I was still thinking the "Mandriva
> corporate" way. So, we are pretty well left at the mercy of the devs
> interest with this regard. (I don't mean to sound negative, but more
> realist in saying this.)
>
> Do you know, out of interest, if there are more KDE or Gnome devs
> interested in the Mageia project or if this is till too early to tell?
Looking into the wiki:
http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=packaging#list_of_categories there are
more packagers interested in KDE thean the others. Actually there's not a
single packager interested in GNOME which I think is a pitty. Although I do
prefer KDE, I'm using apps from all DEs. I don't see any reason, not to use
some app just because it is from another DE
I hope there will be someone taking over GNOME. (after all I am the guy
building the Ubuntu-netbook-launcher for the German Mandriva community repo
because I do really like the launcher).

> Also, out of interest, how hard is it to maintain both from a dev point
> of view (time-wise etc.)? (I'm sure others will jump in and ask for
> other desktop manager here too.)
I think the main packagers from one of the DEs are quite bussy with that.
Especially if you try to fit them into a distro specific look and feel.
In this respect it is perhaps a good decision not to customize them too much.
Makes the work much easier.
Packagers as myself who were - at least till now - building only single
applications can do that for any number of DEs as long as they have the time
doing it.

But I'm not a professional in this respect, I'm just an ambitioned amateur who
is doing his best in the time that's free for me to do so.

Oliver