[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Oct 7 16:48:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010, Tux99 wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
>
> > Besides absolute lack of knowledge about backports, I still have failed to
> > read an answer how backports are not filling the needs for  bleeding-edge
> > users.
>
> It's the focus that changes, currently with Mandriva backports are a
> barely known unsupported afterthought.
> With a light rolling release scheme backports would be supported with
> regards to security fixes, since backports would be the preferred way to
> provide security fixes.
> It actually reduces workload since instead of the Mageia devs having to
> create themselves security patches for older releases, we just use the
> newer version of the sw from upstream that already includes the security
> patches.

So what you're asking is basically to remove the updates repository
because you don't need it ?

But what about the people who don't need new versions, but want stability
and security updates ?

For instance, if you're using Mageia on your computer for important
tasks, you don't want everything to change constantly, because every new
version require some testing to check that it is still working for you
(even when it does not introduce new bugs, the behavior of a lot of
software change with new versions).