[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Oct 7 17:00:35 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 07 octobre 2010 à 10:22 -0400, Greg Harris a écrit :

> You hit the point precisely. Mandriva's backports was a terrific idea
> that does not succeed because (1) it is disabled by default and the
> means to enable it as an update medium are made obscure by intention and
> design and (2) the strange attitude taken, by some maintainers at least,
> that anyone using backports is on their own ("Backports are not
> supported!").

Well, when the backport was made without asking to developers first ( as
it happened with gwibber back at mandriva ), yes, the only thing I can
say is "I do not support it, because I didn't do it, nor was able to
test it correctly'.

If we tell "we do not have the ressources to fully test a backport, so
let's not do it", people are unhappy.
If we say "ok, here it is, but we didn't test, you are on your own",
people are unhappy.

As said by sinnerBOFH, if people want better backports, this requires
more ressources, there is no magic.

--
Michael Scherer