[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 7 18:25:50 CEST 2010

Le jeudi 7 octobre 2010 17:16:03, nicolas vigier a écrit :

> And what makes you think end-users want new versions rather than
> stability ?

Well ... what about those sotwares whose new versions correct bugs but are not
available for users ? If they correct bugs i may conclude they are more stable
so they should be proposed to users. That's for the theory, in real life it is
very different. Let's take Digikam (yes i love this software, killing
application IMHO). When Mdv 2010 was released (11 months ago) it was
digikam-1.0.0-0.5.2mdv2010.0.x86_64.rpm thought updates i can have
digikam-1.2.0-0.4mdv2010.0.x86_64.rpm and thought backport
digikam-1.2.0-0.2mdv2010.0.x86_64.rpm. So nice done, but what about digikam
1.3 released on june 2010 ? What about digikam 1.4 released on late august
2010 ? These versions add stability by correcting bugs (and if you report a
bug, the first advice is to update to 1.4 if digikam version used for reporting
bug is not 1.4)

Digikam 1.4 is only available on Mdv 2010.1 as a backport not as an update.

So my feeling is that there is not necessary a relation between new version
and unstability (ie new version is not stable). I could take the example of
Scribus which latest stable is 1.3.3.14 (so 15 updates correcting bugs since
1.3.3.0, releases which are purely bug fix release), no one would say that
1.3.3.14 is less stable than 1.3.3.3.

Developers are continuously improving their softwares, mainly by correcting
bugs and adding functionnalities (and they are doing this in the same release,
few exception, Scribus is one with a 4-years old branch updating with only bug
fixes) and they used their last release to work on, so if we want to collabore
efficiently upstream we should provide end-users latest stable versions so they
can use it and report bugs that will be useful for developers.

--
Olivier Méjean
Président de l'Association des Utilisateurs Francophones de Mandriva Linux