[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Updating released versions (long post)

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Oct 8 13:32:11 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 08 octobre 2010 à 09:36 +0200, Luca Berra a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 07:49:29PM -0400, Frank Griffin wrote:
> >
> >(Here's the biggie :-) )
> >4) We need to enhance the urpmi.recover functionality and bring it fully
> >into mainstream urpmi so that ANY PACKAGE CAN BE ROLLED BACK TO ITS
> >PREVIOUS VERSION (sorry for the caps).  If we don't want to be stuck
> I just read it 3 times, and i still believe doing the above might prove to be a
> nightmare.
> rolling back a single, well identified change is a doable task.
> rolling back proceduraly a complex change becomes exponentially complex
> even for experienced system engineers, let alone a piece of software.

We could, using brtfs/lvm snapshots. But this may produce some hidden
side effects. Maybe we could do the reverse :
ie, we do a clone / snapshot for testing the upgrade ( maybe in a vm,
except a vm would not help to test real hardware issue ), and if people
are not satisfied , they do not put it in "production".

I think there was a presentation about rpm rollback  at FOSDEM this year
( or last year, maybe ), but I didn't really listened, as I do not
remember how it ended.

--
Michael Scherer