[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Updating released versions (long post)

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 22:17:04 CEST 2010

On vendredi 08 octobre 2010 at 20:01, Frank Griffin wrote :
> The problem is that removing the new package, if it provides something
> that lots of things require, will want to uninstall a large number of
> packages uselessly, because it doesn't know that you're about to turn
> around and install something else that provides it.  All I'm suggesting
> is that
>    (a) we make the older RPMs available somewhere
>    (b) we automate the process to save three manual steps, and
>    (c) we wrap them in an atomic transaction (or what looks like one to
> the user) to solve the problem above

If you still have the old package (which could have been reconstructed with
the --repackage option of urpmi), rpm can upgrade to an older version using
the --oldpackage option. So, if the dependencies are sill met with the old
package you won't have the uninstall problem.

I don't think urpmi support that, but if rpm can do it, it should not be to
hard to add it to urpmi.

--
Renaud Michel