[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Updating released versions (long post)

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 9 00:13:40 CEST 2010

Marc Paré wrote:

> Thanks. So this thread is to see if there were a possibility to
> programme a more efficient roll-back option so that it would be more
> "aware" of the previous "dependencies" needs for the previous version.
> Having "double dependencies" is not so much of a problem, it is the
> rollback to a previous version where the dependency confusion may
> occur, and, ONLY, if an upgraded type of "dependency" thread had been
> installed. (Sorry I may have used the wrong terms in the last sentence).

Well, sort of.  It's not an issue of efficiency, but of convenience and
just making it possible to do without resorting to manual use of the rpm
command.

The rpm command "knows" that a new version replacing the old version
supplies the same things that the old one did, so it will quietly allow
the upgrade.  It will also do what we need, i.e. go the other way and
replace a newer version with an older one if you use the --oldpackage
keyword.  We just need urpmi to support its use.