[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Updating released versions (long post)

Margot margot at otfordduckscomputers.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 09:05:08 CEST 2010

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 02:15:18 -0400
andré <andr55 at laposte.net> wrote:

> Marc Paré a écrit :

> >> One thing that could facilitate this process, if the computer
> >> has a lot of free disk space, is to rename the files being
> >> removed (copying the configuration files), instead of erasing
> >> them. Although they will probably have to be erased
> >> eventually, since no computer has unlimited disk space.
> >> Keeping them long enough that a roll-back is no longer
> >> probable could be workable. Then a roll-back could be done
> >> very quickly, since the files are already on disk, and
> >> presumably reliably. Of course, if new data has been entered,
> >> and the format has been changed, this could be problematic.
> >> Note that configuration files that have been changed from the
> >> installation default are often already saved. (Generally
> >> ".old" is appended to the configuration file name, sometimes
> >> ".new" to the new configuration file.) This of course adds the
> >> maintenance task of removing the old files at some point - it
> >> could be done automatically according to some criteria, or the
> >> user could have to do it manually, perhaps after being
> >> prompted about it.
> >>
> >> (This rollback capability occurs with Microsoft products. The
> >> saved files are only removed manually, on user initiative,
> >> which partly explains the bloated size of a Microsoft
> >> installation over time.)
> >>
> >> If renaming-instead-of-deleting is implemented, perhaps a "do
> >> not keep old program files (useful if limited disk space)"
> >> checkbox option would be useful for computers with less free
> >> disk space. Of course how much disk space is usable to save
> >> old programs on a computer depends on the disk space usage for
> >> other purposes over time.
> >>
> >> my 2 cents :)
> >>
> >> - André (andre999)
> >
> > Not sure about this process. Instead of making it easier for a
> > user, this would now make it more difficult to do and add
> > another layer of knowledge for the new user. It would have to
> > be a little more seamless than this.
> >
> > If there were a way at setup to establish the amount of
> > remaining disk space at installation time, and if there were
> > enough space to allow rollbacks without compromising the
> > installation, then I guess the rollback could then be
> > activated. The user could then be advised at this point that
> > this was activated. If there was not enought disk space, a
> > message could warn the user that software rollbacks would not
> > be possible for lack lack of diskspace.
> The problem is not establishing the current free disk space, but
> how much to leave for use as temporary disk space for other
> applications. For example, if an enduser likes editing numerous
> large video files at the same time (maybe he makes movies), he
> could need a very large amount of temporary free disk space.
> Another user, with the same programs installed, might do
> primarily word processing and Internet, and only occasionally
> edit small videos, thus only needing a relatively small amount of
> [...]

There are already various options which can be run with urpmi, such
as --noclean and --repackage (see man urpmi) and perhaps these
could be incorporated into the GUI - with full simple explanations
for the user on exactly what will happen if those options are
chosen.

For example:
"Select this option if you want to save the old version of the
package that is being updated. If there is a problem with the new
version, you will be able to uninstall it and go back to the older
version. Warning: this option will use extra space on your disk."

There could then be a list available showing all the saved older
versions of packages - if, for instance, a user had saved 10 older
versions of Firefox and knew that the most recent one worked
perfectly, they could then safely delete the 9 older versions to
reclaim some disk space.

--
Margot