[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

vfmBOFH vfmbofh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 17:27:41 CEST 2010

2010/10/6 vfmBOFH <vfmbofh at gmail.com>

> 2010/10/1 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>
>
>> I'm just wondering if we follow Mandriva's release cycle model. Every
>> 6th months a release or one year and one release. I think we should
>> make one release in one year. By doing so devs and translators won't
>> be in rush in every 6 months. Also there are major changes like
>> systemd/upstart; those system related things will be more mature in a
>> year to use. It makes the distro more stable and decraese mirrors
>> space waste.
>>
>> One more thing. Do we follow Mandriva's release naming scheme? I.e. do
>> we call our first release 2011.x ? I don't like this naming scheme and
>> suggesting using number of release as naming like Mageia 1.0 or using
>> code names.
>>
>> What's your opinion?
>>

> Hi all.
>
> At this time, there is a survey asking to the blogdrake's community  what
> kind of release cycle they prefer. This survey will be active until the
> weekend and I think this could be an acceptable look about community
> preferences.
>
> We must keep on mind we're creating a user-oriented distro, so we must be
> stay in touch about their preferences.
>
> Cheers

Hi all again.

As i said, there's the results of the poll published in Blogdrake:

58% of votes are for maintain the same mandriva's release cycle scheme (same
scheme, not parallel releases) There are several opinions about the
periodicity of the releases: six months, eight months, annual... all options
are more or less the same level of preference.

24% has chosen the "Rolling-light" model. as in the traditional model, there
are opinions that support the annual release, six months or eight months.
But this option, is dominated by the annual release of the "core".

15% supports the "pure-Rolling" model. There's nothing to say about release
dates.

Surprisingly, there is also a minority support to a model similar to the
"Debian way". I must confess that this last option on the poll was started
as a joke, because Blogdrake's members often suffer "versionitis". But there
are the votes (3%)...

So, these are the results of the survey. Apparently, the Blogdrake's
community is closer to a model "release + backports".

I think it should be noted (as far as possible) the preferences of the
community, in addition to technical and logistical constraints. Maybe with
similar polls in other local communities?

Cheers.