[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Tue Oct 12 22:36:47 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 13:31:21 Marc Paré wrote:
> There was actually nothing wrong with the Mandriva treatment of repos.
> It clearly satisfied everyone's expectation of their installation. It
> became a matter of user choice. By installing, by default, non-licensed
> software you are not giving the user the choice. You are then targeting
> a group of users who can install without legal consequence.

Didn't you read the first post? :)
Mandriva in fact includes lots of codec packages covered by patents.

The point is that we need to decide what kind of packages do we want. Should
we drop practically all codecs (like Fedora), or have them all in the
repository (like Ubuntu)?

> I thought that PLF were on board with the Mageia project. Does anyone know?

They are.

--
Anssi Hannula