[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Oct 14 12:06:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Anssi Hannula wrote:

> > Oops, didn't notice the above posts were about DRM only, not patents...
> > anyway, ibiblio contains such distros as well.
>
> BTW, according to 17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f) circumvention of protection measures
> is allowed if it is necessary to achieve interoperability with other software.
>
> Of course, this may not apply to CSS...

I don't know if you read the following article, but it looks like even
in the US the laws are actually much less strict now, than people seem
to think:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/billington-opens-new-dmca-loopholes/6942

I'd say this is another strong argument towards including libdvdcss
on the CD/DVD of the Mageia distro.

(Regardless of my opinion that we should only care about French law
anyway)