[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Oct 14 15:41:28 CEST 2010

Quote: Buchan Milne wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 15:27

> What aspects of the Mandriva backports solution are not satisfactory?
>
> -The fact that not everything is available as a backport?

Yes, more packages should be available
(and as future packager I will do my part to make that happen)

> -That users don't know how to request a backport?

It certainly could help publicizing backports and giving the user an easy
way to request specific packages

> -That users doing network installs by default don't get the backport on
>
> initial installation?

That would be very useful as it reduces bandwidth and speed up
installation.

> -That users aren't aware of backports?

Yes, backports should be promoted better in drakrpm and in the web site.

> -Something else?

backports should be supported for security patches and bug fixes just like
the main packages (if not instead of the main packages).
Of course the security patch could be simply provided by backporting a
newer version of the package, no need to make patches for each version.

> > The end users need to do less than now for to get new versions of
> > their
> > favourites applications.
>
> Less than 'urpmi --searchmedia Backports chromium' ?

CLI is not ideal for 'normal' users.

> Or, should it be more obvious in rpmdrake or similar?

I think they should be enabled by default, since it's my impression that
the majority of 'normal' users wants new versions of apps, those users who
DON'T want them can still always disable them.

Backports shouldn't be second choice, it should be the default, since that
would make Mageia stand out from other distros as being the distro were
users get the latest versions of apps before any other major distro
provides them.

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/