[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Fri Oct 15 13:30:35 CEST 2010

Michael scherer kirjoitti perjantai, 15. lokakuuta 2010 02:18:37:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 09:57:03PM +0200, Olivier Méjean wrote:
> > then French law is the law we have to consider for Mageia. Debian runs
> > under SPI organization located in the state of New York, USA, thus is
> > ruled by US Laws.
>
> Since the only people who will have issue with this are the president ( aka
> Anne ) and the people who distribute this ( ie mirrors admins ), I think
> we should ask them and follow their opinions, and only theirs. Because
> we can speak of "we have no problem", we will have nothing what ever we do,
> because we are likely not liable. Anne and mirrors owners are. So their
> words is what does count.

Seems sensible to ask the mirror owners. It is possible some of them have not
been aware of the problem at all, so I think we should make sure they
understand that Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, etc. also contain patented technologies
(to avoid the situation where they are willing to mirror Ubuntu/Debian/Arch
but not allow patented software in Mageia, just because the other
distributions didn't notify them of the issue; if they don't want to mirror
Mageia if it contained patent-encumbered software, they really shouldn't be
mirroring those other distributions either).

--
Anssi Hannula