[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Oct 16 17:31:04 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-16 02:56, Luca Berra a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:00:14PM -0500, Fernando Parra wrote:
>> The basic/novice user doesn't read anything,
> remove basic/novice from the sentence and i will agree ;)
>
>> doesn't request anything to some like a bugzilla,
> but give him a forum and he probably will

This statement I totally agree with! If a user is told to submit in
bugzilla, I find that they will not do it. Reporting to bugzilla for a
user, is one more level of serious commitment on their part and most
will not want to commit themselves to it.

However, if they can report to a forum, this is different. Users view
forums as community involvement with community feedback. They may be ask
to test out the problem and report back on the result (just like in
bugzilla) but they know that other community members will be there to
lend a hand and support.

If we are going to be really interested in quashing bugs with a lot of
community involvement, IMHO, I think that we should offer

-- bugzilla for the enthused and commited users. These people are
interested on reporting bugs the right way and will replicated and help
in debugging.

-- but for ordinary users, we could offer them a "Report a bug" forum
where they can report a bug; the community could then replicated the
bug; have a "Bug-ambassador" or "bug-reporter" or .... who could then
submit it officially on bugzilla. Tracking of that particular bug could
then be the responsibility of the "Bug-ambassador"; once the bug is
quashed, the "Bug-ambassador" could report back to the "Report a bug"
forum of the bug fix and thank the community for their help. This would
help validate the user who reported the bug and make him/her feel like a
part of the contributing team.

IMHO, this would work a lot better for the majority of users who do not
want to commit to any more than reporting the bug; the devs would get a
more constant stream of bug submissions by "Bug-ambassadors" who are
able to triage submitted bugs on the forum.

Doing it this way would still make bugzilla the only place where devs
would go to pick up bug information and the "Bug-ambassadors" would be
the people who triage the bugs at the forum level.

Marc