[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 00:35:37 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 21:29, Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com> wrote:
> Le 2010-10-16 12:36, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
>
>> It's much better to help the user formulate a useful bug report,
>> that's easier / more productive for all involved parties.
>
> There would be no middle man. Once the middle-man could replicate the bug
> and verify the bug with other users, then the middle-man would submit to
> bugzilla. That's it. From there on, the middle-man will take care of testing
> requests from devs.
>
> As far as reporting back to the original user who reported the bug, as an
> extra gesture of kindness, the middle-man would just post on the "Report a
> bug" forum that the bug has been quashed or is still under review ... but
> not to the user but to the "Report a bug" forum.
>
> The idea is to keep the flow of possible bug reports coming in an organised
> way. The middle-man would have to be someone with a little more experience
> than that of a new user and also someone who has an interest in working this
> way. We will get more bug reports from users by keeping it simple and easy.

Yes, and for everyone.

I tend to agree with Ahmad, as well as with you.

You may as well imagine we improve the Bugzilla process with a
front-process, guiding the reporter about her bug report.

That may be a forum with people active there, educating the user about
the bug and the reporting process;

And/or that may be a better designed bug reporting process with a
better flow (providing and getting info to/from the user), querying a
knowledge-base, filtering known/resolved queries out of
yet-another-duplicate-bug-report and ultimately opening a bug in
Bugzilla with a specific interaction to the user (so she knows what
happens next).*

That removes the middle-man issue and that filters out as well people
that are not concerned enough to report/follow-up on a bug (provided
the process is, indeed, better designed and better welcomes the end
user).

* moreover, I believe this type of improvement would benefit many,
many, if not all, projects using a bug report tool.

Cheers,

Romain