[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:25:38 CEST 2010

On 14 October 2010 19:05, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
>> However, I then found that the new version of VLC had problems with
>> DVD menus, and the new CUPS introduced problems (not just in my
>> installation but at least one other Mandriva user).
>
> I would put this down to the fact that currently in Mandriva backports
> are given little attention by the packagers (as has been mentioned by
> the Mandriva packagers here themselves).

You really look only at what you want :-)

> Of course if we make them more central to the Mageia strategy then more
> care and testing is needed before a backport is pushed out.

That just mean double the amount of work for the QA team...
Experience told us that QA team has already too much work, the same
way, bug triage team has too much work, ...

And double is a minimum since :
- you're asking for quite a lot more agressive backports, thus quite a
lot more packages to test
- instead of just testing the security hole & basic work, we would
have to test quite a lot more stuff.
  (eg: for above VLC, playing various video, playing various musics,
playing DVD, ...)
- there would be quite a lot more situation to checks. eg:
  o bare distro + one updated package
  o bare distro + one backported package
  o bare distro + one backported package + backported some of its deps

Whereas updates can be tested on top of released distro + its updates,
for backports, we would have to test the distro + its updates, the
distro with some backports applied, ...

You're asking for a maintenance nightmare.

Let's focus. Let's maintain & stabilize one thing at a time, that is a
distro every 6 monthes.

> So I wouldn't consider that a fundamental issue with backports, just a
> procedural issue.

Yeah sure.

> Also personally I would consider CUPS a core app so I wouldn't have
> included that in backports at all.

No comment...
And what about above VLC?
Cannot you understand that _ANY_ backport can & will break ?

That's remains me new MDV leadership who tried to explain to us how
easy it's to maintain a stabe distro with 10% of the team...

Unrelated, I just found out that fglrx updates are half in
http://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/MandrivaLinux/official/2010.1/x86_64/media/main/updates/
and half in nonfree/release... whereas they're fully not open
source...