[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Thu Oct 21 07:37:37 CEST 2010

* J.A. Magallón (jamagallon at ono.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:34:24 +0200, Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now come the question: "what is a valid mirror ?", eg, what a mirror
> > should have as file to be valid ?
> >

> Some ideas (probably silly ;)).
>
> Why don't you split mirrors in 2 categories:
> - Software (RPM) repo mirrors, available for network install or urpmi.
>   (distrib+people+software).
> - ISO mirrors. Avaliable for torrenting or ftp. MDV2010.1 release isos are
>   about 15Gb. With 2 releases per year, thats 30Gb per year, 200 Gb on 6
>   years. Some places can just mirror this...you lower the 700Gb to 500,
>   not bad.
>
> so mirroring can be done by version (or was this what you wanted to avoid?).

Yes, I tried to avoid it because I perfectly know mirrors will take care
to mirror new version every 6 months (ibiblio example again, nobody had
a look for several years, at least since 2008).

> BTW
> <nitpickin>
> - could you kill the final 's' on all the names ?
>   distribs -> distrib

Done

>   iso (you didnt named it 'isos')
>   peoples -> people

Done

>   software (not softwares)

Is already 'software'

> - could you not mix case in names (SRPMS <-> x86_64), just srpms...

This part depend on BS and how this team working on it will organise the
distrib. I'll suggest them.

> - could be the arch names more uniform ? in my personal scripts/setups
>   I use x86-32 and x86-64. Moreover, perhaps in a not so near future some
>   adventurous soul builds Mageia on ARM or Sparc, so why not sort things
>   like
>     distrib/cauldron/srpm
>     distrib/cauldron/x86/32/iso
>                            /rpm
>                         /64
>                     /arm/32
>                         /64
>                     /sparc/32
>                           /64

This depend again on BS part.

>   The drawback is that ISOs are in the same tree so no separate mirroring
>   is possible, but I think you didn't want this anyways.

I'll take care to this.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS