[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Thu Oct 21 21:36:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:44:16AM +0200, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> * Remy CLOUARD (shikamaru at mandriva.org) wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 06:34:24PM +0200, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The peoples/ directory is dedicated to contributors and must allow
> > > anyone to share files related to the distribution (testing rpms,
> > > preworks) in an unofficial ways.
> > > How this can be setup in practice still have to be discuss.
> > Hi, I would like to ask some details about this:
> > As some of you might know, I’m using awesome for a window manager and
> > have been providing RPMS for quite some time for it on my website.
> >
> > May I use the peoples repository to provide it as well as a customized
> > cairo (with xcb enabled) ?
>
> As a mirror manager I say yes: I'll discuss with sys-admin team about
> how we can setup this, with a per user disk space limit (to avoid
> issue).
>
> From a project point of view it is veey different. The mirror tree is
> what some people will see about Mageia and I do think:
> - people content must be related to mageia
Well, RPMS compiled for mageia are by definition related to mageia :-)
> - everything that can be included in the distrib must provide as RPMs
>   using BS
Well this would allow the chroot to fetch packages from these
alternatives repositories and could automate the process.
> - people content must respect our policies.
>
> In a nutshell: this must be discuss. Having a people is at time just an
> idea, but it solve a need I had in mandriva to provide some rpms for
> testing purpose.
>

> > Will users be able to add this as another repository ?
>
> I don't know any process to deny someone to push hdlists and rpms.
> However I don't think it is a good idea to use this space as an
> alternative to oficial mageia. The risk is to confuse people.
Well, I don’t think it’s about confusing people, after all these
packages are in a different subtree than regular packages, rather
giving choice. I know at least one person who said on #mageia-de that
mageia would be a no-go for him if he couldn’t have awesome.

In Gentoo you have the ability to define your own USE flags to tweak
your system to your needs. Here’s what it says when you activate the xcb
flag and emerge cairo:

WARN: postinst
You have enabled the Cairo XCB backend which is used only by
a select few apps. The Cairo XCB backend is presently
un-maintained and needs a lot of work to get it caught up
to the Xrender and Xlib backends, which are the backends used
by most applications. See:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-December/004139.html

I thought about using a README.urpmi to show in the %post section in a
similar way. Of course we’re not gentoo and as we provide precompiled
packages it doesn’t allow us to do things in a similar way (though we
could provide some mechanisms like AUR for arch).

The whole idea is that some people won’t feel “ghettoized” because they
use something different than KDE or GNOME, though the concept can be
extended to anything and not just window managers/desktop environments.

> Also, I'd like to notice this space is not a way to provide your own
> project, there is platform for that (sourceforge, zarb, gnu, etc...)
Don’t get me wrong here, I was not talking about hosting a project, just
packages for mageia.

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD