[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 07:33:59 CEST 2010

On 21 October 2010 22:48, Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
> * Samuel Verschelde (stormi at laposte.net) wrote:
>> Le jeudi 21 octobre 2010 00:44:16, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
>> > In a nutshell: this must be discuss. Having a people is at time just an
>> > idea, but it solve a need I had in mandriva to provide some rpms for
>> > testing purpose.
>>
>> I don't understand very well what kind of packages would go into "people" rather than in dedicated testing media. What would be the difference ?
>
> I can give the example I had on Mandriva: I did some work on 'rpm'
> package itself, but since breaking this pakage would have lock the whole
> Bs I'd prefer to first have it tested by some people.
> This directory is in this case the perfect place. At this time,
> "testing" media did not exists thought.
>
> Another example could be the XFCE live Cd done by some people in past,
> hosted on distrib-coffee as mandriva where not able to push it on thier
> mirror (this issue get solved latelly).
>
> Pushing something on the mageia Mirror need some control. The people
> place give the opportunity to contributors to distribute somethings w/o
> needing "super user" privileges, but with a clear "unofficial" state.
>
> I am pretty sure some people will find usage to it.
>

>> Regards
>>
>> Samuel Verschelde
> --
>
> Olivier Thauvin
> CNRS  -  LATMOS

Adding to what Nanar said, the way I see it, the stuff in people/ are
like the stuff we put in http://kenobi.mandriva.com/~contributor-name
sometimes; i.e. rpm packages to test (e.g. during cooker freeze before
asking for a push request on maintainers@)... etc. Just it'll be a bit
of a bigger place AND it won't put a load on the build clusters
themselves rather the load will be on mirrors, which is good IMHO.

--
Ahmad Samir