[Mageia-dev] Suggestion-Locales management for One (or Live) Cd releases

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Oct 25 16:12:31 CEST 2010

Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 25 October 2010 12:32, atilla ontas<tarakbumba at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/25 Ahmad Samir<ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> And if there's no active internet connection at installation time?
>>> Ahmad Samir
>>>

>> Well, they will use live environment in english after installation and
>> install corresponding package like normal package installation. That's
>> all. The situation in my proposal with no internet is same as the
>> locales do not have supported in live cd releases. i.e. Azerbaijani.
>> If someone needs full locale or packages support it already have to
>> install from Free dvd release. Don't they?
>>

> So instead of having a few un-localised installations, e.g.
> Azerbaijani, we force all users with no active internet connection to
> do an installation in English even if they don't know any English?
> This isn't ideal.

Exactly.  Since the "One" CDs are oriented to those just trying Linux
(or the distro), it seems to me that the user is much less likely to
have a good grasp of English, especially in a computer context, than,
for example, a typical contributor.

I would tend to go in the other direction.
I've noticed that the Mandriva One for the middle east, which contains
Arabic localisations, is missing the French, despite the fact that the
Magreb (North Africa) Arabic-speaking countries use French (and not
Arabic) in their public school systems for science and technology
(including computer science).  Arabic being reserved for other subjects.
As well, French is widely used in Lebanon.
There are certainly other languages missing on the "One" CDs.

Perhaps a better solution to the perceived problem is to provide a very
accessible description listing the languages on the particular "One" CD.
Now the user has to check the contents of a file describing the various
ISOs, which is not necessarily obvious to the uninitiated.
These descriptions could also elaborate on other content of the ISO in
question.

- André