[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Thomas Backlund tmb at iki.fi
Sat Nov 27 00:00:55 CET 2010

Renaud MICHEL skrev 26.11.2010 23:43:
> On vendredi 26 novembre 2010 at 21:29, Thomas Backlund wrote :
>> Then we come to the "problematic" part:
>> ------
>> x86_64
>>          media
>>                codecs (disabled by default)
>>                core (old main+contrib)
>>                     backports (disabled by default)
>>                     backports_testing (disabled by default)
>>                     release
>>                     testing (disabled by default)
>>                     updates
>>                extra (unmaintained, disabled by default)
>>                firmware (disabled by default)
>>                games (disabled by default)
>>                non-free (disabled by default)
>>                /debug_*/ (disabled by default)
>> -----
>>
>> The idea of this layout with some of the separate sections (codecs,
>> firmware, games, non-free, debug_*) gives a mirror maintainer in a
>> country (or company) the option to exclude the parts they legally (or by
>> company policy) can not mirror.
>>
>> The "core" should be only maintained free/libre stuff so it's easy to
>> build a free/libre iso
>>
>> "extra" is for those packages that no-one really maintain, but is still
>> used by someone
>>
>> "games" are now a separate repo since it can grow fast with a lot of
>> game data.
>
> I think it is a good layout, but, are updates/backports(testing) limited to
> core?

nope, the same layout:
backports (disabled by default)
backports_testing (disabled by default)
release
testing (disabled by default)
updates

should be under codecs, extra, firmware, games, non-free, debug_*
in order to provide consistency betwen medias.
I just left them out because they was supposed to be the same for all.

> As you mentioned, extra has no reason to have updates or backports, because
> if someone did bother to make updates, then the package doesn't belong in
> extra.

Yeah, but for a stable release, we dont move packages...

the /release/ must stay frozen.

> For games it would surely be appreciated to have new versions, so maybe a
> only a games/updates media which could also be used as a backport media (as
> games are not critical).

To simplify for all users, the medias should be used in the same way.

> For non-free we would probably want also updates and backports, like in
> current mandriva.

yep.

> Now for firmware and codecs I don't know, are there updates for firmwares?

Not often, but sometimes there are firmwares that get bugfixes, so the
same rule apply.

> Maybe they should be in sync with kernel updates (or external modules)?

They must of course stay compatible with the kernel.

> As for codecs, will it contain anything that could be covered by patents,
> like PLF for mandriva?
> Does that mean we will still have a stripped down mplayer/xine in core and a
> full version in codecs?

This is one of the tricky ones...

> But if it is only disabled and you only need to activate it in the control
> center to have full featured multimedia programs, it is no big deal, and if
> it makes life easier for people  whose countries have restrictive law then
> we should go for it.

That was the idea.

> We should probably have a clear rule to decide what cannot go in core and
> should in non-free (that on is pretty clear already) codecs or firmware.

yep.

> I hope we will soon get to the point where we will actually put packages in
> those repositories :-)

we are getting closer...

--
Thomas