[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Nov 30 00:52:11 CET 2010

Le lundi 29 novembre 2010 à 23:20 +0100, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, andre999 wrote:
>
> > The fact that Mandriva didn't control what went into main is a large part
> > of their problem.
>
> Mandriva controled what went into main.

Not really, or not much.
( or at least, it was not apparent and public for outsiders ).

Things got in main because something required it for BuildRequires. The
only exception were when someone decide to move it ( subversion, nginx,
django, catalyst ( because someone said "web 2.0 is something we should
support" )) and that no one told "this should be reverted".

In practice, the divide was done several years ago, and the rest just
got there for mechanical reasons. The only case of a refused package to
go to main was network-manager, refused by fcrozat. And this caused lots
of issue for building kde network-manager extension, and rendered the
package less useful for kde users. Some people didn't like this, and the
decision will likely change soon.

And some pretty big packages ended in main ( like the whole java stack )
when no one in mandriva could maintain it ( as the gcj bug I gave
showed ).

So if Mandriva controlled what went into main, no one gave me directives
when I received the privileges to run rpmctl ( ie to move package to
main ).

--
Michael Scherer