[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Nov 30 02:21:35 CET 2010

Le lundi 29 novembre 2010 à 14:28 +0100, Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> * Thomas Backlund (tmb at iki.fi) wrote:
> > Olivier Thauvin skrev 29.11.2010 03:06:
> >> * Thomas Backlund (tmb at iki.fi) wrote:
> >> I can't agree with the "mirrors are free to not mirror this media",
> >> three reasons:
> >> 1) I don't see an easy and safe way for mirrors to exclude a media (a
> >> directory + hdlist in media/media_info) in each distribution,
> >
> > Thats easy, just use --exclude-from
> >
> > On my local mirror I exclude the debug stuff
> > so I use --exclude-from=excclude.lst
> >
> > # cat exclude.lst
> > i586/media/*debug*
> > i586/media/media_info/*debug*
> > x86_64/media/*debug*
> > x86_64/media/media_info/*debug*
> >
> > And thats all needed.
> > We can even provide this exclude file ourselves on the mirrors so we
> > know its correct and if we change the mirror layout, we update the file.
>
> Completly not realist on mirror admin side.
>
> You really have to remember that first mirror admin job is not maintains
> mirrors. They have often hundred of users on their back waiting for
> fixes.
>
> When such will go wrong, nobody will be able to check and fix.

The issue is that we have 2 types of mirror admins :

- there is some of them who are hobbyist/enthusiasts, that use their own
server for that, and that mirror only one or 2 distros, and that may not
do it for their job or as part of their job. I think for example
Wolfgang would be in this category. They want to help us, but they may
have slightly limited ressources. But they can have time to tweak the
mirroring to fit what they can offer to us.

- on the other end of the spectrum, we have people who manage lots of
mirrors, with more bandwidth and bigger servers, more , but maybe not
more time. Ie people that does it as part of their job, with the
associate increase of ressources and work that come with a job.

So admins that are more of the type 1 are likely ok with following
lists, giving input, tweaking rsync scripts, etc. They are the one that
could help us by giving stats or stuff like that, because they have the
time. But that's also people who may have more trouble ( because of
lesser ressources )

Type 2 would prefer to not have too much to do because they may have
better thing to do. Ideally, they set up and do not touch for the 10
next year and that's ok.

So we need to take in account this divide.

We can't have just one type or the other, but in both case, a simpler
mirroring process will benefit to everybody.

--
Michael Scherer