[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

Erin Wilkins erin at sea-dragon.net
Sun Dec 5 21:50:00 CET 2010

On December 5, 2010 10:59:45 Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> Op zaterdag 04 december 2010 20:58:12 schreef Erin Wilkins:
> > Since the packages in that repository are there because they're
> > (potentially) encumbered by patents, why not call it for what it is,
> > "encumbered"?
> >
> > --
> > Erin
>
> too difficult

To understand? If that's the case, I think you're going to be stuck with
"tainted". And while I don't have an issue with it, this whole discussion
started because some people find it too negative.

The purpose of the repository name is to convey what sort of packages are
contained in it. While many of the names that have been mentioned (foggy,
speculative, etc) are relatively easy to remember, they don't have any
existing meanings with regard to software. If I, or pretty much any other
user, were not following this thread, I would not understand what sort of
packages would be in a repository with those names. And like any other name
that I wouldn't understand, I'd have to look up the documentation.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather go with a name that conveys an existing
meaning, but some people will need to look at the documentation to understand.

--
Erin