[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout, round two

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Dec 6 06:00:12 CET 2010

Dale Huckeby a écrit :

> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
>
>> the english language is pretty rich; and i suspect there are quite a
>> few words
>> that could convey the correct meaning without the word being too
>> difficult.
>>
>> otoh, there is also the fact that "free" or "core" don't really convey
>> the
>> correct meaning at all either and could be quite dubious.
>>
>> patented would be more correct, but i don't wanna call it that,
>> because then
>> mageia would be sued by patent-lawyers all over the world. don't get
>> me wrong,
>> it wouldn't be illegal, but it would just be too timeconsuming...
>>
>> imho, we should have a simple not too difficult word that somehow
>> shows a bit
>> about the nature of the contents in it, while still being vague enough.
>
> Okay, short words: iffy, chancy, dicey, knotty, clouded, foggy, hazy,
> unclear, contro (for controversial),
> prob (for problematic), equiv (for equivocal), irreg (for irregular). I
> like iffy best. It's short, it's
> informal, its meaning is clear, yet it's not too narrow.
>
> Dale Huckeby

great idea, abreviations !
contro, irreg, and equiv are abreviations for words that don't question
the quality.
I like contro and irreg best.
We can always give the full word in our documentation which explains the
purpose of each repository.
That would work.

(BTW, when I think about it, iffy could be considered to refer to
quality - but it's still way better than tainted.)

Of course, there should be lots of other abreviations to choose from, if
collectively we don't like one of these.

- André