[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:04:04 CET 2010

2010/12/10 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:

> To summarize, strategies:
>  1. ignore the issues and see what happens;
>  2. ignore the less significant ones;
>  3. get to know each of these and manage case by case
>  4. other?
>
> and factor whenever possible and see what happens, update, repeat.
>
> 1. and 2. are more radical, but are some sort of trial-and-error, risk
> management strategies. Ok... looking at it this way won't lead us
> further I guess.

Agreed

> Let's try this: what if we consider, at first, that software patents
> were a non-issue? (that is, we just consider they are all invalid as
> such).
>
> How would this change/simplify the problem?
>  - for packaging/shipping the distribution
>  - for mirroring it
>  - for using it.

>From a mirror maintainer's view:
If I am in a country like France (not acknowledging SP) I can ignore
safely the issue
If I am in a country which does acknowledge SP I will have to decide
for myself if I want to take that risk. THis may be an easy decision
in some countries but in others (like the USA) it may be a hard
decision, also depending on who I am (a private person or a large
institution/organisation).

>From the users's view:
Living in a country without SP (or not caring about the issue) it is
the easiest way. I can use automagical setup of media and need not
worry about an extra repo to set before I can watch my DVDs :)
Again in a country like USA I have to decide for myself - this would
be a nightmare if the "whatever-dubious" software is included in the
normal repos. I would have to find out by myself which is "ok" to use
and which is not.

--
wobo