[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Fri Dec 10 20:26:32 CET 2010

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 16:35, Wolfgang Bornath<molch.b at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Isn't this what this whole discussion is about? There ARE legal issues
>> with some software users regard as "must have". Now, how do you avoid
>> these issues?
>
> To summarize, strategies:
>   1. ignore the issues and see what happens;
>   2. ignore the less significant ones;
>   3. get to know each of these and manage case by case
>   4. other?
>
> and factor whenever possible and see what happens, update, repeat.
>
> 1. and 2. are more radical, but are some sort of trial-and-error, risk
> management strategies. Ok... looking at it this way won't lead us
> further I guess.
>
> Let's try this: what if we consider, at first, that software patents
> were a non-issue? (that is, we just consider they are all invalid as
> such).
>
> How would this change/simplify the problem?

Good approach.

>   - for packaging/shipping the distribution

Evidently easier to package.  (One less consideration.)
As well, the problem doesn't exist in France, so Mageia itself won't be
a target.
As I understand, basically only the editors of software have been
pursued in patent-affected countries like the U.S.
(And basically only those with lots of money.)

>   - for mirroring it

Easier if mirrors don't have to consider OPTIONAL repositories.
(But the NUMBER of repositories doesn't matter.)

Theoretically it would affect mirrors in countries with patents.
Except that in the U.S., one of the most patent-affected countries,
there is no shortage of mirrors, many of which carry patented software
that is being actively pursued against other parties - but the mirrors
themselves are left untouched.

Note that having identifiable patent-affected repositories would
presumably increase the probability of patent pursuits against a mirror.
But the PLF, with openly identified patent-affected packages, has
several mirrors in the U.S., none of which has been pursued, to my
knowledge.

As well, there are countries free of software patents on every
continent, in the event that problems arise.
So hosting patent-affected software seems to be a non-issue for mirrors.

>   - for using it.

It doesn't seem that any individual user has been pursued for using
unauthorised patent-affected software.
So using patent-affected software is a non-issue for users.
(Unless they choose to avoid such software, of course.)

> (please don't go "but there _are_ software patents" for now)
(But such arguments are "so much fun" ;) )

> Romain

- André