[Mageia-dev] Mirror layout

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 10:52:16 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:42, Michael scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 02:26:32PM -0500, andre999 wrote:
>> Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>
>> >  - for packaging/shipping the distribution
>>
>> Evidently easier to package.  (One less consideration.)
>> As well, the problem doesn't exist in France, so Mageia itself won't
>> be a target.
>
> This is a over simplification.
> PLF is not only for patented softwares, but also for softwares that
> have others issues ( DMCA, copyright claim, etc ).
> So from a packaging point of view, we would still
> have a separate repository, so the consideration would
> likely still exist.

Indeed. But it then shows that it really makes sense to separate
issues per packaging media (so that end-users may decide on a
case-by-case basis), provided each issue is not valid worldwide,
neither uniformely.

Putting everything under a "tainted" repository will just push the
problem one step aside. Putting issues separately helps having a clear
policy, per type of issue (because the problem is different).

Romain