[Mageia-dev] mageia sound tasks

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 17 19:33:24 CET 2010

SaschaS wrote:
> After having a looong chat with the guys from linux4audio and reading
> tons of posts in ccrma forum, I must say .....
>
> Idea with an rt-kernel for netbooks ....... DISMISSED .... it simply
> makes no sense.
> Those guys mostly use gentoo and build their own kernel for years now
> and they gave me the following hints, that also can be found in
> discussions of other distributions:
Pre-built kernels are appropriate for standard and newbie systems, but
what you might consider is packaging a kernel .config file with the
options for your custom kernel, having the package prereq kernel-source,
and having the spec file compile the kernel with that .config file and
install it under a name derived from the package-name.

Of course, we'll get performance complaints about urpmi running for 3 or
4 hours, but hey, it's a lot less of a bandwidth/space hog.