[Mageia-dev] mageia sound tasks

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 18 07:08:50 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 7:04 AM, herman <herman at aeronetworks.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 15:30 -0700, Frank Kober wrote:
> > I'm here for sure. Doing subtasks was one of the ideas coming in from
> several linuxmao.org members. This idea got rejected from the mdv people
> with the argument that there are already too many task metapackages. It was
> difficult to get a common opinion on it by the musicians anyway, but finally
> the most useful division would be a bit in the sense of the current
> task-sound-studio, i.e. use cases: Audio recording, Audio synthesis and
> composing, live tools (loopers, etc..), sounds (soundfonts in particular
> which are large data files), video?.
> > But you will see that it is not so easy to make coherent and useful
> subsets. Another example would be the ubuntu studio grouping.
> >
> > I think there should be just a clear separation of music consumer tasks
> and music creation tasks, and already the latter includes some of the first
> one...
> IMHO the most important thing is to make a basic package that works.
> The user can then add other things they like.  As things are, it is very
> difficult for an ordinary mortal to make a working sound system by
> installing individual packages.

The basic music tasks such as soundserver (pulse or alsa), music/video
player should already be in the main distribution included like we know
already from existing distributions.
What I would like is a task-package which includes everything needed for a
working multimedia computer such like mpd for music streaming, and something
similar for video streaming over a network.

And maybe we can also make a similar task for the creators out there?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Greetings

Daniel Kreuter