[Mageia-dev] mageia sound tasks

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Dec 18 15:54:26 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 01:33:24PM -0500, Frank Griffin wrote:
> SaschaS wrote:
> > After having a looong chat with the guys from linux4audio and reading
> > tons of posts in ccrma forum, I must say .....
> >
> > Idea with an rt-kernel for netbooks ....... DISMISSED .... it simply
> > makes no sense.
> > Those guys mostly use gentoo and build their own kernel for years now
> > and they gave me the following hints, that also can be found in
> > discussions of other distributions:
> Pre-built kernels are appropriate for standard and newbie systems, but
> what you might consider is packaging a kernel .config file with the
> options for your custom kernel, having the package prereq kernel-source,
> and having the spec file compile the kernel with that .config file and
> install it under a name derived from the package-name.
>
> Of course, we'll get performance complaints about urpmi running for 3 or
> 4 hours, but hey, it's a lot less of a bandwidth/space hog.

We could have something that run the compilation in the background. That's how
gitorious do for lenghty operation, something based on stomp.

You install the specfile, it check if the server is up, if not, it start it, it
send a message "compile this", and then urpmi finish.

The next issue would be how to communicate with the user that the kernel is ready.
Maybe using s2u, or dbus, i do not know.

Using this method would also ease the distribution of custom patched kernel, if we start to
distribute the various patchs as rpm, we would no longer have 28 compiled kernels in
contrib.

--
Michael Scherer