[Mageia-dev] mageia sound tasks

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Dec 18 16:34:50 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:03:36AM +0100, SaschaS wrote:
> So I see basically that we need a guidline on how mageia deals with Spinoffs
> first.
>
> If all task are in the repos, I can understand those who say that there are
> to many task.

The problem is not that there is too much more than the consequence of the
high number of task-*.

rpmdrake, who is the main consumer of task-* rpm
convention, show all of them as 1 single list. So basically, with lots of tasks-
rpm, you just have a big unsorted list of category. Obviously not good for endusers.

While it would be useful to group task into sound category, for the moment,
we cannot. One way would be to encode this information in the name ( ie, decide
that task-sound-foo and task-sound-bar are part of the sound category ).

I am not sure that using the name for this is a good idea. It is quite poor,
in term of metadata, and that's still a tree structure, while may a tag based
one may be better ( like Debian do, for example ).

More ever, it doesn't make much sense to have task-lamp-* task-nagios and task-kde4
at the same level, they are not destined at the same public.

Not to mention that installing rpm is ust half of the solution, configuration is
the other one. While we can to some extend push configuration in the rpm, there
is some that we cannot do reliably ( like adding a user to a group ).

So maybe a wizard is a better solution than using a rpm that does magically everything.

--
Michael Scherer