[Mageia-dev] Proposal for bugzilla

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 20:34:18 CET 2010

On 22 December 2010 21:25, Frederic Janssens <fjanss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-12-22, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry for not beeing clear.
>>> What I propose is not for the case 'a bug originates from more than
>>> one package';
>>> but for the case 'a bug manifests itself in than one package'.
>>
>> A bug that manifests in more than one package must originate from
>> 'some package', that 'some package' is the only one that should be in
>> the 'RPM Package' field; i.e that's the package that's going to need
>> fixing.
>
> Sorry again, what I mean, and should have written, is :
> 'a bug manifests itself in one package, but in more than one -version-release'.

There's no way in bugzilla to do this at the moment (there's talk
about this being implemented in bugzilla-4.0, which I haven't tried
before). Traditionally the Whiteboard field was used for such issues
(or separate reports were opened for each affected stable release).
Having a multi-line RPM Package wouldn't be the way to go with this
(IMHO).

>>> (In fact I think I want to solve the same problem you want to solve with
>>> "with a whiteboard field to state if the bug affects more than one release
>>> (at
>>> least for now)"
>>> but in a more specific manner).

>>> Yes; but I am trying to solve the connection with mageia-app-db.
>>> With the xmlrpc interface it seems the search possibilities are more
>>> limited :
>>> (from
>>> http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.6/en/html/api/Bugzilla/WebService/Bug.html)
>>> :
>>>
>>> "
>>> search
>>>
>>>    UNSTABLE
>>>
>>>    Description
>>>
>>>        Allows you to search for bugs based on particular criteria.
>>>    Params
>>>
>>>        Unless otherwise specified in the description of a parameter,
>>> bugs are returned if they match exactly the criteria you specify in
>>> these parameters. That is, we don't match against substrings--if a bug
>>> is in the "Widgets" product and you ask for bugs in the "Widg"
>>> product, you won't get anything.
>>>
>>>        Criteria are joined in a logical AND. That is, you will be
>>> returned bugs that match all of the criteria, not bugs that match any
>>> of the criteria.
>>>
>>>        Each parameter can be either the type it says, or an array of
>>> the types it says. If you pass an array, it means "Give me bugs with
>>> any of these values." For example, if you wanted bugs that were in
>>> either the "Foo" or "Bar" products, you'd pass:
>>>
>>>         product => ['Foo', 'Bar']
>>> "
>>>

>> I don't know about xmlrpc, but there's no one certain way to fill the
>> 'RPM Package' field; ideally it should be packagename-version-release
>> (e.g. kwrite-4.5.85-1mdv),
>
> That's what I proposed in another post.
> If that were the standard, there would be no problem for mageia-app-db.
>
>> whatever search method you use, it has to
>> be versatile enough to cope with the field content variations.
>
> To be clear : as indicated above,
> the limitation is in what bugzilla offers through it's xmlrpc interface.
> We should have to modify the bugzilla code if we wanted access to it's
> through it's xmlrpc interface.

Whatever. As long as that doesn't affect the workflow of the triage
team or bugzilla's performance in general, I don't really care
whichever way it get implemented :)

[...]

--
Ahmad Samir