[Mageia-dev] Proposal for bugzilla

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 10:54:32 CET 2010

Op zaterdag 25 december 2010 10:18:17 schreef andre999:
> Maarten Vanraes a écrit :

> >> As was said by dmorgan, listing each SRPM slowed down bugzilla a lot;
> >> the distro has a lot of SRPMS...
> >
> > an ajax search is better; it doesn't add much and only gets searched if
> > you enter at least 2 chars, or something like that.
> >
> > if such an ajax is wanted, i can write that if i can use app-mageia-db or
> > similar as a list.
>
> OK, I did a little search on Ajax, and I think that I understand now.
> It seems that you're proposing autocompletion on the text typed in the
> field - and only matches will be downloaded.
> But if it starts with 2 characters, there could be still 1000's of names
> downloaded.
> I would suggest that we would need at least 5 characters to restrict the
> names downloaded to a reasonable number.
>
> Also, there is another factor.  If we are looking for srpm names, but
> the user enters binary rpm names, there will not necessarily be a match,
> particularly if the srpm results in more than one binary rpm.
> So in some cases this will not work.
>
> But I have another idea.
> Maybe we could have separate (binary) rpm and srpm fields.
> There is a button on the page, which will invoke the command to give the
> srpms associated with the binary rpms.
> Would this be workable ?
> Something that would execute
>   $ rpm -q --qf '{sourcerpm}' {pkg-name}
> and would automatically enter the result in the srpm field, or at least
> display it so it could be typed in.
>
> Of course, this would have to be done by the user experiencing the
> problems, to ensure having the correct version.
> We would also have to deal with the cases where more than one rpm has
> the bug.
>
> If we can automate this, we can dispense with the potential problems
> associated with a list of srpms.  And it would be (at least somewhat)
> more efficient both server and client side, as well.
>
> Just an idea
>
> André

this is no more than sort of TAB completion on the urpmi commands.

averagely 2 characters have ~600 possibilities; meaning that 2 chars give
average 25 srpm results. in practice this can be 150 results or something

consider also the fact that these are src.rpm , so huge lib**** and the fact
that we won't be starting with everything...

imho instead of destroying an idea you don't know much about; why don't i
implement it and then you can evaluate if it's bad or not.