[Mageia-dev] Drakxnet, drakroam and Draknetcenter : let's fix it or throw it.

Thomas Lottmann skipercooker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:29:36 CEST 2011

Le 01/08/2011 14:50, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2011/8/1 Sigrid Carrera<sigrid.carrera at googlemail.com>:
>> Hi Wolfgang, *,
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:10:08 +0200
>> Wolfgang Bornath<molch.b at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>> As you see, my "mileage" varies from yours. :)
>> Yes, indeed, the experiences vary. But this doesn't mean, that one opinion or experience can be dismissed because you have some different experiences. (Wobo, this is not meant as a comment to you personally, it's more a general comment!)
> That's what I wanted to say with my comment to Thomas' mail. :)
> draknet and the others are not faulty in general, the same as
> network-manager is not the general solution.
I have been encountering repeatedly the same issues since more than 
three months, and right now it has been happening repeatadly on other 
laptops with the same issue (Drakxnet not able to understand it's own 
config files). More weird now, on one of the laptops, he seems to not be 
able to parse /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, for absolutely no reason.

I set aside the other issues of the tool (the 'progress message' that is 
in reality a timeout that gives you an error message while it is still 
connecting... and other stuff).

The other main issue I see si that Drakxnet is coded in Perl and uses a 
lot of perl scripts, like the drakxtools. This makes it hard to 
maintain, and to improve.

If I posted this mail, it is because my experience is seriously downed 
my this network tool that is absolutely not polished. It works, but you 
need to understand it's way of working... which is not normal.

I know it works fine for several people. Personally, I am often having 
issues because it's disconnects on it's own, and no longer sees any 
networks when it should. Then it has difficulty  reconnecting.

Windows, Fedora and Ubuntu's wireless tools work absolutely smoothly at 
my school. And now, other people testing Mageia as school are having the 
same issues I have. This is frustrating and I can assure you these 
home-made network tools have to be improved and fixed.

If you want to, I can attempt to make a list of the isses and 
incoherencies I find, although they are not hard to see. But as I 
mentionned earlier, this is a tool that is hard to maintain, and I 
cannot learn perl right now. This means someone else who knows pearl and 
the tool may have to put his hands in it, and he may not have the time for.

If NetworkManager is easier to maintain and works fine, then I think it 
can be a better solution. Just offering or trying to find solutions, 
because this tool seriously does not work properly here.

My two cents,


More information about the Mageia-dev mailing list