[Mageia-dev] RM replacement

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Aug 8 06:28:28 CEST 2011

Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz a écrit :
> Le Dimanche 07 Août 2011 23:03:15 Florian Hubold a écrit :

>>> Do you know WIPE ? http://wipe.sourceforge.net/
>>> I don't know if it is the most secured rm, but it could be.
>>
>> Yes, and it has the advantage that you don't need to reboot. Good point!
>
> Yes, but more than the tool is how to replace rm command
>
> LD

I think it is useful to question WHY particular files should be securely deleted.

For disposing of a disk, something like DBAN would be an excellent tool.  (WIPE
seems a little dated, since a lot of disk technology has changed since 2004.)

For individual files, if the particular file should really be securely disposed
of, then maybe training the users disposing of such files to use srm could be a
useful approach.  (There would likely be no point in securely deleting most files.)

Then there is always the option of an administrator using srm on items in the
trash folders on a regular basis.  This could be done automatically by a shell
script, if desired.

A utility that periodically sanitizes free space could be useful, as well.

Changes in the filesystem or the kernel seems the only reliable way to ensure
consistantly securely deleting all (or all of a defined subset of) files.

--
André