[Mageia-dev] Proposal: Deprecate draknetcenter+network init scripts after systemd becomes default.

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:49:06 CEST 2011

On 23 August 2011 17:15, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>> What's more gaining 20s on a server when the IBM uefi/firmware take *minutes* to
>> setup the machine is worthless.
>> On the server side, we still manage RHEL networking through old style
>> ifcfg* config files
>
> Some people do actually use vms, where boot speed could be important if
> created on demand ( and where the reactivity would warrant something
> more than "shell script", and where a better API to get interface
> information wuld be nice ).

Booting a VM on such servers is nearly instaneous despite still using
shell scripts for network :-)
Anyway I do favor migrating to systemd.
As for NM, if we don't want to maintain both drakx-net & NM, we'll
have to work.
I can help, but we'll need someone on the NM side:
- what parts of NM to integrate into stage2
- how to integrate drakx-net code with NM