[Mageia-dev] Suggest summary documentation of Mageia perl routines

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:35:53 CEST 2011

On 24 August 2011 14:05, Guillaume Rousse <guillomovitch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> at mga as well as set up perl_checker mails again in order to auto catch
>> bugs)
>
> perl_checker doesn't catch bugs, but violations to an hard-coded coding
> style policy, which is quite different...

Please only speak about what you used.
If you don't believe me, just look at the drakx SVN's log[1], we fixed
quite a lot bugs
because of perl_checker:
- corrupted variable names,
- too many or not enough (missing) arguments in function calls,
- ...

We routinely run it before commiting, thus catching small issues
before releasing them.

It doesn't fix everything but it does save quite a lot of pain.

Latest example is in rpmdrake where new mdv devs upload a plain broken release
whereas it's now quite a lot more difficult now that I've make
perl_checker run prior
to that:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/soft?view=revision&sortby=date&revision=271213
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/rpmdrake/current/SPECS/rpmdrake.spec?r1=572521&r2=587847

[1] (though we lost one year of changelog due to server issues)