[Mageia-dev] Replacing mysql with mariadb

D.Morgan dmorganec at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:42:13 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Maarten Vanraes <alien at rmail.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to get more testing (mariadb is in core/updates_testing), i've
> decided to submit to cauldron core/release,
> however there lies a problem:
>
> Since everything is almost exact with mysql, same files and such, there are
> some library conflicts which would present always a choice if we want both
> mysql and mariadb (in particular libmysqlclient.so.X). Since we also want this
> really used at build/link time one of both versions should be used.
>
> considering that mariadb mysql client works perfectly for both mysql and
> mariadb. and that mysql mysql-client may not work perfectly for local servers
> due to the my.cnf file being used for both client and server (mysql client is
> supported for remote mariadb servers), I'd like to use the mariadb client
> packages.
>
> The way I see it, there are 2 possibilities:
> A. I remove the mysql-client, libmysqlclient, mysql-common and assorted
> packages from mysql, and provide them with mariadb, since libmysqlclient is
> drop-in replacable (same library ABI and such), there is not 100% requirement
> of rebuilding all libmysqlclient dependant programs.
>
> advantages:
>  - both mariadb and mysql servers are present, people can choose
> disadvantages:
>  - more QA
>  - more work for me
>
> B. We drop mysql completely and submit mariadb
>
> advantages:
>  - less work for me
>  - less work for QA
> disadvantages:
>  - mysql is completely gone.
>
> I already posted this on the mariadb testing thread, but got little response,
> So i plan to go with B really. because that'll give the best testing and if
> mariadb isn't good enough, we can still modify mariadb and resubmit mysql. B
> will have the best upgrade test (like for mga1 --> mga2)
>
> For more information regarding this, please read completely the mariadb
> testing thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mageia-dev@mageia.org/msg09282.html
>
> Some more bordering information:
>  - mariadb has XtraDB, which is essentially a patched InnoDB (it also supplies
> an exact vanilla InnoDB as a plugin)
>  - mariadb still has myISAM support
>  - mariadb has as a default storage engine Aria (which can be used either as
> transactional and as non-transactional)
>  - the files are exactly the same as mysql, it's still mysqld, mysql for client
> so upgrading issues should be minimal, but still tested, of course.
>
> so please, test mariadb, build stuff against lib64mariadbclient18

we have several critical stuffs working on mysql, can't we wait for
mga3 to work on this ?
We already broke a lot of stuffs in cauldron for now ( systemd is the
more important ). Mikala told that akonadi works with mysql so before
pushing in core/release i would appreciate you work on this to make
sure it builds/works with mariadb.

can you ?