[Mageia-dev] Replacing mysql with mariadb

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Thu Dec 1 20:53:09 CET 2011

Op donderdag 01 december 2011 10:32:14 schreef Colin Guthrie:
> 'Twas brillig, and Maarten Vanraes at 01/12/11 08:05 did gyre and gimble:
> > The way I see it, there are 2 possibilities:
> > A. I remove the mysql-client, libmysqlclient, mysql-common and assorted
> > packages from mysql, and provide them with mariadb, since libmysqlclient
> > is drop-in replacable (same library ABI and such), there is not 100%
> > requirement of rebuilding all libmysqlclient dependant programs.
>
> I think that rather than just provide them, it would make sense to use
> the update-alternatives system.
>
> It's going to be quite hard to rip out one package and drop in the other
> without some problems so it would be nice if we could install both at
> the same time and switch between them with a simple update-alternatives
> plan. This would perhaps facilitate easier testing too (i.e. easy to
> compare one to the other and switch about etc.)
>
> In the initial stages you can make MariaDB have a higher priority in the
> update-alternatives setup to encourage more usage/testing coverage.
>
> While I appreciate it's extra effort for you and QA, I think this is the
> best route forward for mga2 at least.
>
> Col

i don't think the update-alternative is usable for the client parts at least

you will need to build programs with mariadb mysqlclient.so, so that doesn't
work as alternatives, so that means the whole common and mariadb client is
required too

so the only thing that can be alternativified would be the server, which is not
really necessary to be alternivified anyway, since you can just install mariadb
for that and remove mysql.

you have to remember how mariadb works, it's like us, they take mysql from
upstream, and put patches on it.

the client doesn't have any major feature changes, it just has some
improvements for if you'd use mariadb and some bugfixes. ( mariadb server with
mysql client, works also perfectly, allthough NOT on the same server, due to
my.cnf )

but however you look at it, client and common part of mysql will need to be
obsoleted.