[Mageia-dev] replace mysql by mariadb ? (was HEADSUP: mariadb available for testing)

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Thu Dec 1 21:10:24 CET 2011

Op donderdag 01 december 2011 09:42:29 schreef Anne Nicolas:
> > i'll send a new thread on this, but it's not a final decision, it's
> > nothing more than just a way to get more testing so we can decide to
> > opt-out or not.
>
> As said before there is no other major distro that did this switch. It
> seems too early for me and lots of users do still use MySQL. I would go
> for MariaDB as an alternative for Mageia 2

is it ok if we could test MariaDB fully and if it's not good enough, we could
decide to not use mariadb yet and resubmit mysql? or even provide mariadb as
alternative?

to be able to make this decision would be great for it to be actually tested.
cauldron isn't definative, so submitting to core/release in cauldron seems to
be the best way to get a decent test. if it's not workable after a few days,
we can still resubmit mysql?

Also, i've spoken at length with MariaDB and Monty and the other developers
are dedicated to making this work, because they see that no distro is yet
having their product. (except Suse and EPEL iirc.)

( While i was at the channel, it appears someone from Arch was also
investigating MariaDB )

and lastly, i think it's because the branches had been lagging behind, but now
5.5 is almost released (should be before februari) and they are in sync with
MySQL.

at the same time it appears Oracle is close-sourcing some parts of mysql (or
so i've been told).

Personally I think this is exactly the correct time for this.