[Mageia-dev] RFC: Drop mkinitrd completely in favour of dracut.

Anssi Hannula anssi at mageia.org
Fri Dec 2 14:57:34 CET 2011

On 02.12.2011 13:28, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a suggestion! Should we move wholesale to dracut?
>
> It's very easy to hack on, and Harald Hoyer has been very helpful and
> has merged some of the patches we carried locally (which I mostly copied
> from Mandriva). Not sure why they were not upstreamed before.
>
> There are still a couple patches we carry locally (soon to be less when
> Harald pushes his git repo and I rebase), but they are pretty trivial,
> understandable and easily maintainable (mostly they will be stylistic
> tweaks and naming variations - i.e. very minor).
>
> Modprobe rules are included even in the initrd so tweaks there follow
> through.
>
> I'm not necessarily against keeping mkinitrd, but I think we should take
> the time from now until the beta phase to obsolte mkinitrd and force
> everyone to use dracut in order to see if there are any issues and then
> make the call before next beta or rc.

+1

One thing that doesn't work with dracut yet is that it only includes the
KMS drivers into initramfs if they are loaded at the time of initramfs
creation, causing unoptimal boot screen when a) initramfs created by the
installer (I guess), and when b) user has switched a driver non-kms -> kms.

This can probably be solved by some patching of
modules.d/50plymouth/module-setup.sh, but I haven't looked at it closely
yet.

--
Anssi Hannula