[Mageia-dev] Pino

Sebastian sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Sat Dec 3 09:24:25 CET 2011

On 03/12/11 07:06, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> W dniu 23.11.2011 22:30, Philippe Makowski pisze:
>> Pascal Terjan<pterjan at gmail.com>  a écrit :

>>> It is dead as in "build errors reported 1 year ago have not been fixed
>> Ok dead or nearly, no package maintainer, certainly alternatives (I
>> don't know) so we can drop it
>>

> pino is moved to obsoletes in our svn
>
> Please remove it from mirrors

Pino may be dead or dieing, but it is still a very popular client for
Identi.ca. I find it a very good client, as a result I strongly believe
that it should definitely stay in the repos for Mageia 2.

If Pino is no longer made I think it would be good for many distros to
still provide it in their repos for at least another year

Also looking at things from a user point of view, I think that many
computer users don't mind using old software that is no longer
maintained as long as they can still use it for it's intended purpose. I
think that for myself and many other people that use Identi.ca  Pino is
an example of this.

Unfortunately at the moment though in my install of Mageia 2 Alpha 1
with the latest updates, I can't install Pino using RPMdrake, because:

Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:

- pino-0.2.11-1.mga1.i586 (due to unsatisfied libnotify.so.1)

As for other clients that could be provided in the repos there's Gwibber
and Hotot and so on.

P.S

This is my first email to this mailing list or any Mageia mailing list,
and I think any mailing list in general.