[Mageia-dev] RFC: Drop mkinitrd completely in favour of dracut.

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 3 12:29:58 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Anssi Hannula at 02/12/11 21:17 did gyre and gimble:
> On 02.12.2011 15:57, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> On 02.12.2011 13:28, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just a suggestion! Should we move wholesale to dracut?
>>>
>>> It's very easy to hack on, and Harald Hoyer has been very helpful and
>>> has merged some of the patches we carried locally (which I mostly copied
>>> from Mandriva). Not sure why they were not upstreamed before.
>>>
>>> There are still a couple patches we carry locally (soon to be less when
>>> Harald pushes his git repo and I rebase), but they are pretty trivial,
>>> understandable and easily maintainable (mostly they will be stylistic
>>> tweaks and naming variations - i.e. very minor).
>>>
>>> Modprobe rules are included even in the initrd so tweaks there follow
>>> through.
>>>
>>> I'm not necessarily against keeping mkinitrd, but I think we should take
>>> the time from now until the beta phase to obsolte mkinitrd and force
>>> everyone to use dracut in order to see if there are any issues and then
>>> make the call before next beta or rc.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> One thing that doesn't work with dracut yet is that it only includes the
>> KMS drivers into initramfs if they are loaded at the time of initramfs
>> creation, causing unoptimal boot screen when a) initramfs created by the
>> installer (I guess), and when b) user has switched a driver non-kms -> kms.
>>
>> This can probably be solved by some patching of
>> modules.d/50plymouth/module-setup.sh, but I haven't looked at it closely
>> yet.
>
> Patch attached. I guess this would remain as a Mageia specific patch as
> the wanted behavior is dependant on how the distribution handles driver
> switching etc...
>
> Shall I apply it?

I just updated dracut with another patch, so I included this one too.

I know there is ongoing discussions about firmwares etc. but I think
this patch still stands alone.

I'll discuss with Harald if there is a way to upstream this in a semi
generic way. If not, we just carry it as a local patch.

Thanks