[Mageia-dev] New errors during boot (since latest Cauldron updates)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 6 13:03:30 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Robert Fox at 06/12/11 10:12 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 10:04 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Robert Fox at 06/12/11 09:18 did gyre and gimble:
>>> The first error has been around for some time udevd (directory not
>>> writable) - but the OSINFO errors are new:
>>>
>>> Starting udev:  udevd[133]: error: runtime directory '/run/udev' not
>>> writable, for now falling back to '/dev/.udev'
>>> ^[[85G[^[[1;32m  OK  ^[[0;39m]
>>> udevd[134]: unknown key 'OSINFO_BOOTABLE'
>>> in /lib/udev/rules.d/95-osinfo.rules:30
>>>
>>> udevd[134]: unknown key 'OSINFO_INSTALLER'
>>> in /lib/udev/rules.d/95-osinfo.rules:30
>>>
>>> udevd[134]: unknown key 'OSINFO_BOOTABLE'
>>> in /lib/udev/rules.d/95-osinfo.rules:36
>>>
>>> udevd[134]: unknown key 'OSINFO_INSTALLER'
>>> in /lib/udev/rules.d/95-osinfo.rules:36
>>>
>>> Systems seems to work fine so far.
>>
>> Can you state which init system you are using, sysvinit or udev. And
>> also can you state which initrd generator you are using, mkinitrd or dracut.
>>
>> Col
>>

> sysvinit I believe (how can I confirm this?) and mkinitrd (simply did a
> cauldron update which included a kernel update - don't even have dracut
> installed.

Yeah this is probably just udev not liking the fact that mkinitrd does
not setup /run as a tmpfs mount.

Dracut runs udev from the initrd and thus setups up /run etc.

So please try installing dracut and regenerating the initrd: dracut -f
/boot/initrd-3.1.4-desktop-2.mga2.img

Make sure you have a working initrd saved just in case you need it
before running this command: e.g. cp
/boot/initrd-3.1.4-desktop-2.mga2.img /boot/arg.img

This way you can always edit your grub command to specify this initrd
manually in the case of a hideous failure!

We'll likely be forcing dracut on people pretty soon anyway and might
drop mkinitrd completely from mga2, so it's worth giving us feedback if
you can :)

Cheers