[Mageia-dev] RFC: Drop mkinitrd completely in favour of dracut.

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:01:04 CET 2011

On 3 December 2011 19:54, zezinho <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 3 décembre 2011 00:06:31, Anssi Hannula a écrit :
>> BTW, shouldn't we regenerate initrds when installing radeon-firmware for
>> the first time?
>
> Yes : I had this problem testing Alpha1 DVD on a RV100 hardware.
>
> - no firmware installed as nonfree repo is not enabled
> - no X after install (I should have tested in the installer?)
> - installed radeon firmware, reboot, still no X
> - updated initrd, then it works

Anssi maybe should we alter drakx-kbd-mouse-x11 & harddrake:
we could run modinfo on the module for the card, check whether
the reported firmware in the output are available or not, and
enable kms accordingly (with defaulting to vesa instead of radeon
on r700+ due to the faillure to run without KMS support)